[xwiki-devs] GSoc 2011: idea "Auto Completion in Content Editors" (updated)

许凌志(Jamesxu) lingzhixu326 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 08:31:22 UTC 2011

2011/3/30 Marius Dumitru Florea <mariusdumitru.florea at xwiki.com>

> Hi James,
>
> On 03/30/2011 05:52 AM, 许凌志(Jamesxu) wrote:
> > Hi, followed by my previous mail for designing the auto-suggestion
> > features for WYSIWYG rich text editor, the following is my new
> > designation of auto-suggestion for Macros for xwiki editor:
> >
> > For Link and image, I will talk later in next mail, here I will focus on
> > the designation of Macros;
> > As Marius told me, there are some APIs for getting the list of all
> > Macros available. and the macros in syntaxes 2.x are formatted as
> > '{{macroName attribute1=" " attribute2=" " ... }} content
> > {{/macroName}}', some of the attributes of specific macros may be
> > required and some are optional.
> >
> > In xwiki editor, when user type "{{" to activated the auto-suggestion
> > for macros, and the default view is a list for all available macros,
> > user can navigate them by "up" and "down" keys, when one of the macros
> > is focused, on the right of the suggestion box will show up a canvas for
> > showing details of this focused macros, including a short introduction
>
> > and its attribute list(see sceenshot
> > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/44893839@N00/5573230062/in/photostream/>),
>
> I'm not sure the M icon is useful and the category information could be
> displayed differently. Otherwise it looks good. I needs to be polished
> of course.

what about I design different icons for different category, and put them
before the macro names which belong to them. for example for "Content"
category,  I design an icon with the word "Content" or its capitcal "C", and
put it before "Activity" macro which is a content macro.

> > when user keeps typing, the suggestion will be narrowed(see screenshot
> > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/44893839@N00/5573230138/in/photostream/>).
> >
> > After they click "Enter" key, the focused macro will be selected, and
> > the result will be shown in the editor with its required attributes
> > automatically added. For example, if user select "code" macro, the
> > result are shown(see screenshot
> > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/44893839@N00/5572640201/in/photostream/>)
> >
> > Sometimes, user need to add some optional attributes for macros, and
> > they focus cursor after one added attribute or the macro name and type
> > space key, then it shows up a suggestion box for attributes of this
>
> > macro(see screenshot
> > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/44893839@N00/5573230230/>), after user
>
> Looks good. Note that we call them macro "parameters", not "attributes".

Ok, remember that.

> > selects one, the selected one will be added to the attributes list in
> > xwiki editor, for example, if user selects "CssClass" for "code" macro,
> > then the result are shown as(see screenshot
> > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/44893839@N00/5573230104/in/photostream/>).
> >
> > Thanks if you can read all of my designation patiently, and if you can
> > give me some advices, I will be so appreciated.
>
> An advice would to think about the functional specification of the
> autocomplete feature (what will the user be able to do, what information
> would be visible) and then think about the best way (from a UX point of
> view) to expose this functions to the user.

Ok, after I finnish all the drafts of the designation, I will design the use
case and detailed the autocompleion features.