[xwiki-devs] GSoc 2011: idea "Auto Completion in Content Editors" (updated)

Marius Dumitru Florea mariusdumitru.florea at xwiki.com
Wed Mar 30 08:40:18 UTC 2011

On 03/30/2011 11:21 AM, 许凌志(Jamesxu) wrote:

> 2011/3/30 Marius Dumitru Florea <mariusdumitru.florea at xwiki.com
> <mailto:mariusdumitru.florea at xwiki.com>>
>
>     Hi James,
>
>     On 03/29/2011 06:13 PM, 许凌志(Jamesxu) wrote:
>      > Thanks Marius for giving me a quick response for my new
>     designation in
>      > IRC, he gave me two short advices
>      > 1. Using "p:", "a:", "i:" for triggering the auto-suggestion
>     might not
>      > be suitable for some users who are not familar with English, because
>      > "p",a","i" are the first characters of English words.
>      > 2. Suggestion for wikipage and attachments should be combined
>     together,
>      > In my previous designation, I seperated them.
>      >
>      > I am considering these two advices carefully,
>      > for the first advice I think it is true not suitable to use
>     "p","a","i"
>      > for triggering auto-suggestion, according to the confluence, we can
>      > change them into "[[" for links , "!" for images
>      >
>      > for the second advice, I think combine wikipage and attachments
>      > suggestion together could be easier for users to get quick suggestion
>      > without remembering more shortcuts.
>      >
>      > According to the two advices, I re-design the auto-suggestion for
>      > wikipage and attachments in the following:
>      > (1). User type "[[" to trigger suggestion, and the default
>     contents in
>      > suggestion box are shown in the following, I design two, they all
>      > contains the list of wikipages user recently changed, and also a
>     list of
>      > attachments of this wikipage. The difference is that in the first
>      > design(image 1), at the top of wikipage list, there is a search
>     form for
>      > searching wikipages(the function is implemented in WYSIWYG rich text
>      > editor, link dialog), and the second one is without the wikipage
>     search
>      > form(image 2).
>      > ---------------------------------------------
>
>      > Image 1(with search form) --- view
>      >
>     by:<http://www.flickr.com/photos/44893839@N00/5571391228/>http://www.flickr.com/photos/44893839@N00/5571513534/in/photostream/
>
>     Why do you think the search is needed? Isn't the user actually searching
>     when she types after the autocomplete feature is triggered?
>

> I am confused about the search functions, IMO the auto-suggestion for
> links will be narrowed according to what user have inputted, for example
> if user have inputed "xwiki", then a list of pages whose name starts
> with "xwiki" will list in suggestion box, but I found the search
> function in the existed "link" widget not do the same way, it seems to
> search full-text, not limited to the title.
>
> I wondered which functions should be suitable for auto-suggestion?

It's up to you. The way you build the list of suggestions from the typed
text is part of your proposal. It should be smart. Nothing stops you
from including in the list of suggestions wiki pages that have the typed
text in their content. You just have to weight the importance of these
pages compared to those that have the typed text in their title or name.

Hope this helps,
Marius