[xwiki-devs] [POPOSAL] Add some automatic mail notification

Ludovic Dubost ludovic at xwiki.com
Wed Mar 30 14:28:21 UTC 2011

I'm +100 on live email notifications. I had already proposed some
additions to "mail this page"
http://markmail.org/thread/dnwgtgfq4nnwz7nv
to include "live" (not watchlist) subsription to changes.

I perfectly agree that we need some live subscriptions.
I'm +1 for 1b

As for 2/ I'm not completely sure about the fully automated solution
limited only to direct replies to your comments.
First I think we probably need also to allow that for participants to
the content, and we also need an unsubscribe mecanism.

So whenever you make an edit or a comment, you should have one or more
"checkboxes" which are checked by default
For a content edit:

[  ] Email me about changes to this page
[  ] Email me about comments to this page

For a comment

[  ] Email me about replies to my comment
[  ] Email me about all comments to this page
[  ] Email me about changes to this page

The issue here is that this requires storing these subscriptions
somewhere, whereas the 2b/ solution you propose can be done
automatically (except for the unsubscribe).

I believe in the end we should have a full "live" subscribe mecanism to
a page, so we will need the subscription storage anyway.
Also we could image "instant messenging" notification in addition to
mail notification.

So we should go for the more complete solution right away.

So to summarize:

I'm +1 for 1b right away
I'm -1 for 2b but +1 for a more complete solution

Ludovic

--
Ludovic Dubost
Blog: http://blog.ludovic.org/