[xwiki-devs] [POPOSAL] Add some automatic mail notification

Thomas Mortagne thomas.mortagne at xwiki.com
Wed Mar 30 14:48:37 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 16:28, Ludovic Dubost <ludovic at xwiki.com> wrote:

> I'm +100 on live email notifications. I had already proposed some additions
> to "mail this page"
> http://markmail.org/thread/dnwgtgfq4nnwz7nv
> to include "live" (not watchlist) subsription to changes.
>
> I perfectly agree that we need some live subscriptions.
> I'm +1 for 1b
>
> As for 2/ I'm not completely sure about the fully automated solution limited
> only to direct replies to your comments.

It's not only direct replies, see the listed modes (that I was
planning to make configurable).

> First I think we probably need also to allow that for participants to the
> content, and we also need an unsubscribe mecanism.

For content users that's kind of 1/ already including unsubscribe
simply by removing the document from your watchlist (but yes it's not
live by default unless you setup your watchlist to be live if that's
possible).

> So whenever you make an edit or a comment, you should have one or more
> "checkboxes" which are checked by default
> For a content edit:
>
> [  ] Email me about changes to this page
> [  ] Email me about comments to this page
>
> For a comment
>
> [  ] Email me about replies to my comment
> [  ] Email me about all comments to this page
> [  ] Email me about changes to this page
>
> The issue here is that this requires storing these subscriptions somewhere,
> whereas the 2b/ solution you propose can be done automatically (except for
> the unsubscribe).
>
> I believe in the end we should have a full "live" subscribe mecanism to a
> page, so we will need the subscription storage anyway.
> Also we could image "instant messenging" notification in addition to mail
> notification.
>
> So we should go for the more complete solution right away.
>
> So to summarize:
>
> I'm +1 for 1b right away
> I'm -1 for 2b but +1 for a more complete solution

Sure a complete solution would be great but there is no way I have
time or desire to work on that so it's either 2/ or nothing from my
side. Is 2/ that blocker the way it is defined ?

--
Thomas Mortagne