[xwiki-devs] [VOTE] Add LDAP UI module in platform

Thomas Mortagne thomas.mortagne at xwiki.com
Tue Feb 21 16:17:25 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Jerome Velociter <jerome at winesquare.net> wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> I've worked on a LDAP administration UI (see
> http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-2551). It's an improved version of
> the admin UI that the LDAP admin tools
> (http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/LDAP+Tools)
> provides. Compared to the extension, it brings more descriptive labels
> for each field, and provides rich property editors for mappings (user
> field mapping and LDAP group mapping), fixing two weak points of the
> LDAP tools app (the form was too complex to fill in and field mapping
> format in a textarea not intuitive).
> You can see it in a branch on github :
> https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/compare/master...ldap-ui
>
> I would like to add the module in XWiki platform for 4.0.
>
> My +1 for it.

+1

Would be nice to convert the existing UI test in
xwiki-enterprise-test-ldap to be based on your new UI (right now they
directly modify XWikiPreferences and do a login). The existing tests
are based on the old selenium way of writing tests but should not be
to hard to move to PO at the same time.

> Now another question is, should we bundle it by default ?
>
> Personally I think not. I think we should point to it in xwiki.cfg
> LDAP section and on xwiki.org documentation. The rationale is that
> only a small subset of users are interested by this UI, and for the
> other it is confusing. And now we have a good extension manager,
> adding this UI is just a couple of clicks away for those interested.

+1

You can look at xwiki-enterprise-test-extension for how it's importing
the XR xar (which is not packaged with XE) to test it.

> Jérôme Velociter
> Winesquare
> http://www.winesquare.net/

Thomas Mortagne