[xwiki-devs] Simple Mobile Skin

Vincent Massol vincent at massol.net
Wed Feb 22 07:45:26 UTC 2012

Hi Ludovic,

On Feb 21, 2012, at 8:30 PM, Ludovic Dubost wrote:

> Any comments on the code ? What would need to be done to be able to bring
> this into the platform ?

I won't comment on the code since I haven't looked at it yet.

As a general rule, to bring something in the platform:

* We need a VOTE from a committer to propose it
* But even more importantly than the VOTE we need that the committer who proposes to bring it in, commits to work on it, improve it and maintain it on the long run. What we definitely don't want to see is something that goes in the platform and stops working which would prevent us from releasing the platform since it's all released as one block and everything we release must work.

Personally I'm against bringing it in the platform as it is for the following reasons:
* No committer has expressed interest in becoming the "owner" of it and improving/maintaining it on the long run
* There's no mechanism to check that this mobile skin is working (no tests) which means we have no automated way to verify it works when we release platform and testing manually is extra work (and we're already lacking testing power to verify XE works on various DBs/browsers)
* It's too much maintenance. It has been proven in the past that we've never been able to maintain more than 1 skin (BTW I'm for brainstorming about why this is so and how can we provide more than 1 skin in the platform).

Thus, without knowing the technical details, I'm in agreement with Jerome when he says that it might be better to fold this skin into the current Colibri skin, i.e. make the mobile feature a feature of the skins we develop. But even with this I'm still against bringing it in the platform till a committer steps forward and says that he's willing to improve it, fix bugs, test it when we release and maintain it in general.

Again, the idea is that code developed by the XWiki Development Team is of good quality and working. This strategy is the only one I know to guarantee this. And BTW this is why we regularly remove stuff from platform and move it to the retired repository (when the feature is no longer working good enough and there are no active committers willing to work on it).