[xwiki-devs] [VOTE] Move history when moving stuff from repositories of "xwiki" organization

Thomas Mortagne thomas.mortagne at xwiki.com
Tue Feb 28 11:17:45 UTC 2012

Hi devs,

Since I plan to move some stuff from platform to commons I would like
to know what you think of the history in this case.

Pros including history:
* can access easily the whole history of a moved file. But sometimes
changing packages etc make too much difference for git to see it's
actually the same file so you loose it anyway.

Cons including history:
* double the history which make tools like ohloh indicate wrong informations
* it's a lot easier to move without history

WDYT ?

Even if it was looking a bit weird to me at first I'm actually +1 to
not move the history in this case.

Eduard was proposing to include in the first commit of the new
repository the id of the last commit containing the files (basically
the id of the parent of the commit deleting the files) in the old
repository so that it's easier to find it. I'm +1 for this.

--
Thomas Mortagne