[xwiki-devs] [VOTE] Move history when moving stuff from repositories of "xwiki" organization

Eduard Moraru enygma2002 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 12:05:27 UTC 2012

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for starting this thread.

Not copying the history and just linking in the commit message to the old
repository only works if you have the guarantee that the old repository
will not get deleted or assimilated into another, rewriting history.

Or better yet, what happens if, in 2 years we switch to a new versioning
tool with its own optimum layout? I`m looking at commits from SVN that are
now moved to git and they all have a commit message like "git-svn-id:
https://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/xwiki-platform/core/trunk@9889f329d543-caf0-0310-9063-dda96c69346f".
Having an SVN revision number it is
not trivial to obtain the GIT hash corresponding to the commit; and you
have to do this from the command line.

Isn't this a bit risky on the long run?

P.S.: If we do decide that not copying history is ok, here's my big +1 to
at least mentioning in the commit log in the new repository the parent
commit from the old repository.

Thanks,
Eduard