[xwiki-devs] [Proposal] 2 new rules for Application Best Practices

vincent@massol.net vincent at massol.net
Sun Sep 27 21:19:40 CEST 2015

Hi devs,

Following our implementation of NS/NP in 7.2 I’d like to propose 2 new best practices for app dev that we would list at http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/ApplicationDevelopmentBestPractices

1) New rule 1: “Code” subspace

Current text:
* Generally, put all your pages in a single space dedicated for the application you're developing (e.g. Faq, Scheduler, IRC, AppWithinMinutes, etc). The name must be as short as possible while still being understandable of course and without overusing abbreviations.

New version:
* Generally, put all your pages in a single space dedicated for the application you're developing (e.g. Faq, Scheduler, IRC, AppWithinMinutes, etc). The name must be as short as possible while still being understandable of course and without overusing abbreviations.
* Technical pages should be put in a subspace named “Code”

Note: this rule can only be applied for new applications for now since the EM doesn’t know how to follow renames currently so for example if I move pages from the FAQCode space to the FAQ.Code space, when EM upgrades the app, it’ll display all pages in FAQCode as deleted (basically it considers all pages in FAQ.Code as new pages and pages in FAQCode as deleted pages). Note: I’ve created http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-12622 for this.

2) New rule 2:

* Technical pages without children must be terminal pages.

WDYT?