[xwiki-users] XWiki's WYSIWYG editor -- tinyMCE and GWT-based

Marius Dumitru Florea mariusdumitru.florea at xwiki.com
Fri Sep 21 06:00:51 UTC 2012

Hi Ray,

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 8:42 AM, ray ye <ray.ye at ddaysoft.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>     Two WYSIWYG editors were included in XWiki --   tinyMCE and GWT-based.
>
> I understand that
> 1. tinyMCE  was used at the very beginning, and later GWT-based was
> used to replace tinyMEC because tinyMCE was buggy, and its performance
> was not good (at the time)
> 2. the version for tinyMCE included in XWiki 4.1.4 is 2.0.6.1 released
> on 2006-05-04 ( I checked the code ), and the latest version is 3.5.7
> release on 2012-09-20.
>

> My questions are:

> 1. have any one revisit later release of tinyMCE, since lots have
> changed over the 6 years?

None that I know of.

Yes. See https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/tree/master/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-wysiwyg

> is there a  way that i can get WYSIWYG related codes only, and
> integrate it into one of our internal project?

Yes, but not in a straightforward manner, for the moment. Jerome has
started to work on http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-7785 but didn't
had time to finish. The main issues to reuse the code are:

* a dependency on SmartGWT/SmartClient for one of the XWiki specific plugins
* XWiki specific plugins (Jerome started to move them in a separate
module I think). But you can choose to not load them from
configuration.

This http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/WYSIWYG+Editor+Module#HUsetheWYSIWYGeditoroutsideXWiki
should work, if you also make sure SmartClient code is present..

Jerome did you push your changes somewhere? I could try to finish your
work when I find some time.

Thanks,
Marius