I asked the Scala group about the availability of a JSR-223 implementation, so that XWiki could make use of it. Below is one response, and here is the URL of the thread, in case other responses are added there in the meantime: http://old.nabble.com/JSR-223--td27529387.html Those who are familiar with JSR-223 might find it useful. Henry On 10 Feb 2010, at 13:33, michid wrote:
Story Henry <henry.story@...> writes:
I was just wondering if there is a good JSR-223 (plugin? Jar?) implementation for Scala. This would allow tools such as XWiki to easily make it available for scripting. Apparently if a language implements this, they can provide it just by placing a jar in a special directory. These are the jsr223 languages they support: Velocity, Groovy, Python, Ruby, PHP.
Henry,
I created a JSR-223 scripting engine for Apache Sling [1]. While it is used by Sling and is interoperable with OSGi, it can also be used independently from Sling and OSGi. The source is available from SVN [2] and there are some instructions [3] on how to use it though these are mainly targeted to Sling.
Note however, that the scripting engine is different from REPL scripting. It only accepts 'real' Scala source entities as input. I chose this approach in order to be able to use existing tools for developing scripts (i.e. editor, IDE, debugging, unit testing).
Michael
[1] http://sling.apache.org/site/index.html [2] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/sling/trunk/contrib/scripting/scala/script/ [3] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SLING/Using+Scala+with+Sling